Thursday, September 6, 2018

Inpatient

9.6.18
7:07am

HGB: 11.6
PLT: 151
WBC: 6.01
ANC: 2.77

Day -8


I woke up with Carly Rae Jepsen's "Call Me Maybe" stuck in my head.  Weird.  Yesterday it was "The Final Countdown" (Europe) and Wyclef Jean's "Gone Til November".  (Although my secret goal is to be home by Halloween.  We shall see how that goes.)

I am finishing up my second dose of Busulfan as we speak.  I didn't actually get into a room until about 7:30 pm last night, so a lot later start than I had anticipated.  I had a dream that I pulled out my picc line and the care attendant was chasing me around the room trying to mop up the blood.  Not a good visual, but I at least did sleep for a few hours, so that is a good thing. 

My picc line is bugging me.  Not because there is anything wrong with it - just because it is placed about two inches above my elbow kinda on the inside of my right arm so it's in an irritating place.  I have what Keith calls a "fancy pear" wrapper sleeve thing on it and kinda keeps it all contained so my tubes aren't flapping around. 

They have started me on a bunch of preventative medications including an anti-fungal, a broad spectrum antibiotic, medication to prevent heartburn, and zofran to prevent nausea.  No nausea yet.  A little bit of dry mouth which I am trying to combat by rinsing often with my gross mouth care rinse (saline solution and baking soda) and drinking lots of water.  I'm also sensitive to the smell of the soap, and have been trying to put lotion on my hands after I wash them, so it is not as prevalent.  I woke up irritable and cranky, but at least I realize that I'm irritable and cranky and I can try to control it and power down a bit.  I have 14 more doses of Busulfan to go.  It is infused every six hours and takes about two hours each time.

I don't have the patience for television yet.  I'm guessing that eventually I'll get bored and will develop a tolerance, but right now I just find it annoying - with the exception of the Weather Channel, which I had on as background noise for a bit last night. 

My breakfast just showed up, and I feel hungry, so that's a blessing.

Day -7.

2 comments:

  1. Rachel, im reading your sharings in Boicucanga, Brazil. Burnt the boats when I landed and cant return until I rebuild one. Wanted to share that I got to walk over a Brazilian hill yesterday and to see the tiniest yellow flowers, greenest moss, blue'est flutterby and smell the rain drenched reddest earth. I found the blackest sand beach with the saltiest ocean and was able to surf for hours. On my way back I got to see a bamboo forest and take ten strides in it with the smallest bent-beaked bird. Its chirp lingered alongside the slap of my sandals over hand-sewn red bricks. On my return, I was able to eat the orangest papaya, sweetest mango and drink the darkest beer; each girders for my next meeting in a language I don't speak. Today, I really appreciate just being able to walk, to see, to hear, to taste, to smell, to surf and receive life's blessings. Sending you warm-heartedness and wishing for your well-being. Humbly yours. Jimbeau

    ReplyDelete