Saturday, September 8, 2018

Hydration and Pee

Date: 9.8.18
Time: 8:40 am

HGB: 11.1
PLT: 112
WBC: 5.51
ANC: 3.03

So who knew that I wouldn't be able to take a shirt on or off for a month?  Oh, hey, not me.  I refuse to give in and wear the gown, so I've kinda got a Xena Warrior Princess asymmetrical thing going on, where I wiggle into my shirt by sliding it up over my hips.  I can only put my arm in one arm hole, as I am permanently hooked up to hydration full time to protect my liver and kidneys (and I have to pee like twelve times a day), and chemo every 6 hours for 2 hours at a time, so my tubes are in the way of getting fully dressed. 
Me and my dance partner

The sweatshirt is harder.  I've taken to flinging one arm across my neck like a jaunty scarf, or tucking it under my arm pit so I can wear it like a cape.  So after my daily bath (that I'm required to take) I look kinda like a cross between Snoopy and the Red Baron, and the Wild Woman from Borneo touring the halls.


I'm a fairly fast walker and I pace the halls like a caged tiger, usually in the early mornings (between 6am-7am).  They encourage you to walk the halls a lot.  13 laps is supposed to be a mile.  According to my activity tracker each lap is .08 miles - so just about right.  After a few times around I always lose track of what lap I'm on, so I've been gauging it in mileage.  Yesterday I did 5 miles total, and some light, don't touch the floor yoga stretches.  So far today, I've only done one mile, but I ain't got nothin' but time, so that'll increase.

The nurses, and one of the doctors has told me that I'm one of the only early bird patients that they have.  Thats probably because the sleep schedule here is so fucked up.  Vitals are taken every four hours, I get chemo every six, blood is drawn at 2am, and I have a variety trail mix of pills that I get to swallow everyday.  I also have people that come it to clean, to take the laundry, and to deliver meals.  I have probably gotten maybe 16 hours sleep, all together, in the three nights that I've been here if you add all of the small pieces together.  For someone that's used to getting more than eight hours a night, it's bad for my metal health.  It totally makes me a crank-o-saurus. 

Pray for my nurses.

No comments:

Post a Comment