Monday, October 1, 2018

Day +18 The Changing of the Guard

Date: 10.01.18
Time: 8:54pm

HGB: not sure
PLT: better than before
WBC: even higher
ANC: nothing precise

I hate the city.  There are too many people here.

The last appointment that I had at the clinic was yesterday morning, and my nurse didn't tell me my specific counts, just that they were the same or better than the Thursday before, except that I needed an infusion of magnesium.  I'm already on about 750mg of magnesium that I take orally everyday, but apparently one of my other drugs - Tacrolimus - eats the magnesium in your body.  So Sunday morning, I had to have a magnesium infusion that lasted about an hour.

Day off of clinic today, so no new updated blood counts, but I was doing well as of yesterday.  Keith went home today, and my mom replaced him on duty for a couple of days.  Snuck away for about an hour today to visit the Mildred E. Mathias Botanical Garden (which is across the street from where I am staying.)  I touched nothing, but sat in the shade for awhile next to a little stream, and walked a mile or so along the paths.  Not crowded, which was a nice change, since everything around here seems so crowded all of the time. 

Botanical Garden

Mom and I walked to Trader Joes and each picked out a frozen meal for dinner.  (God I can't wait until I get home and can eat real food again.  Technically I am allow to eat most foods at this point, but it's hard to cook and eat well out of a hotel room.)  Food still doesn't taste right anyway, so nothing that I've had yet has been spectacular, or even tasted the way I wanted it to.  Well, except...

Living the Dream

All day appointment extravaganza happening tomorrow.  Blood work, appointment with the nurse practitioner, dressing change for my PICC line, and infusions if necessary according to blood work.  Everything has been going smoothly, and I hope it continues that way...except I don't sleep.  The bed here is unforgivably uncomfortable, but it's not just that.  I'm not sure if it's the steriods (its probably the steroids) but I sleep for maybe 4 hours a night, and lay awake for hours at a time.  It generally takes 1-2 hours to fall asleep, then I sleep for 2-3 hours.  Lay awake for another 1.5, sleep for another 1-2, generally awake by 5:30am.  It sucks.  I told the Dr. on duty on Sunday, and he said he could prescribe some melatonin or something.  (Bullshit.  Tried it in the hospital.  It didn't work.)  So basically, I think that I'm just pretty much screwed until I'm able to taper off the high dosage of steroids...which is entirely dependent on whether or not I start to show signs of GVHD.

Le sigh.  No rest for the weary.


No comments:

Post a Comment